Metals and non-metalsThe chemical elements can be broadly divided into metals, metalloids and nonmetals according to their shared physical and chemical properties.
Uses of metals:
1. Iron is used to make vehicles, machines, etc.
2. Copper and aluminium are used to make kitchen utensils, wires, etc.
3. Gold and silver are used to make jewellery and other decorative items
4. Tin is used to make cans
5. Aluminium is used in the making of aircraft bodies.
Uses of non- metals:
1. Carbon (diamond) is used in jeweleries.
2. Chlorine is used as a disinfectant, bleaching agent, etc.
3. Phosphorous is used in match-boxes and fertilizers.
4. Sulphur is used in vulcanizing rubber, fire crackers, detergents, paints, etc.
5. Iodine is used in the making of antiseptics.